10/27/09

Pocket Notebooks


The Simple Dollar is by far one of my favorite blogs, highly recommended. I have been subscribed for over a year, and I constantly find myself agreeing with owner Trent Hamm on many issues, although the topics we write on are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. I follow the financial market extensively, and The Simple Dollar is not part of that, Trent writes on productivity and personal finance, and is indisputably a frontrunner in that genre of blogging.


Today he wrote about something especially close to home, pocket notebooks. You can read all you want about "Getting Things Done," but you do not have to follow that system to make significant productivity headway through using a little notebook. As a college student, it's something I could not function without. Organizing projects, taking down assignments, capturing my random thoughts, to-do lists, blog post ideas, gift ideas, contact information and the list goes on. At the end of the day I sync this with my Google Calendar/iCal/Address Book, which automatically syncs with each other and my Blackberry, meaning I always have my notes.


I use the iconic Moleskine notebooks and cahiers primarily, as they satisfy my quality requirements and are fairly easy to find. I definitely explore other brands; Field Notes, Clairefontaine, Rhodia, and other off-brands, I have also developed a penchant for fountain pens and other fine writing instruments. A surprisingly expensive hobby!

Another notebook I am looking forward to checking out is from Postalco, previously I had only heard of it's goodness, but now available at a rapdily becoming favorite shopping destination J.Crew.



Look for me to compare Moleskine and Field Notes cahiers in the future, if there's any interest, or I get bored of writing about clothing!

No comments: