7/24/11

Old Orchard Beach


I spent the past 3 days at Old Orchard Beach in Maine. A very small honky-tonk town, just south of Portland. There were a number of members of my mother's family there, including distant cousins and my grandparents who made the trip up from Florida. I got a pretty viscious sunburn, as we spent a lot of time by the beach and pool, during the 100 degree heatwave! Important to me, I was able to drink a lot of great beers. First night I was there, I walked a mile up to the nearest location selling Baxter Brewing Co's Stowaway IPA. A very solid canned offering, available only in Maine, at 8.99 a 6er, it was a bargain. It reminded me very strongly of New England Brewing Co's Sea Hag IPA.



Thursday, we made our way up to Portland to tour the Allagash Brewery. I went with my father and uncle, who are curious about craft beer, but not very knowledgeable. We toured the facilities, which are very impressive, and since the tasting room/retail store was under construction, we had a tasting in the barrel room of the brewery. We had Allagash White, Tripel, Curieux (Tripel aged in Jim Beam bourbon barrels) , and 2011 Fluxus (Bier de Garde). I enjoyed all of the beers, as well as the very informational tour, best of all it was free. I did not pick up any beer there, but I regret not grabbing a piece of glassware.



After that, we stopped at Whole Foods Market, Portland, and I was able to grab 2 bottles of Maine Brewing Co. Lunch IPA ($5.99/500ml bottle), with a lot date of 7/21 which was the day we were in the store! Pretty crazy stuff! I enjoyed one bottle that night, and just had another one last night, after the restaurant. Incredibly hoppy, but still very drinkable and refreshing, one of the hoppiest "single" IPAs I have had in some time. Highly reccomend all of Maine Brewing Co's offerings!


No comments: